Thursday, October 15, 2020

Dinner at Bluewater Grill at Dreams Natura

Dinner tonight was at Bluewater Grill which is the steak house.  Don't be too concerned. There is much more than steak.  You can access the menus at dreamsnatura.info.  

Sometimes when you go to a restaurant that you think will feature one type of food, you can be surprised how well they do another.  I think the old cliche saying is you don't order fish in a steak house.  And if a place is known for their burgers, don't order the fish sandwich.  In the case of Bluewater Grill, defined as a steakhouse, make sure you don't dismiss the "turnovers".  Now I put that word in quotes because these are really authentic empanadas.  And I think more people would order them if they were labelled that way on the menu. But you should order them because of how delicious they are.  The restaurant offers two varieties. One is beef that has ground beef, carrots and onions.  The other is a caprese. 


The caprese is the one I suggest you order.  I had never heard of a caprese empanada before.  Normally empanadas have a filling that isn't too moist because otherwise the pastry will break in the fryer.   I am not sure how they accomplished it, but the filling was still moist like you would expect from a caprese salad.  Finely diced tomato, fresh mozzarella and basil but inside a gloriously flaky pastry.  Crispy yet fresh tasting. I would even go so far to say that you may want to think about just ordering several of these per person and call that your dinner.  But that would be a disservice to the rest of the menu. 

The next appetizer was mushroom soup.  


Mushroom of my favorites and they make such great soup.  The menu didn't specify, but I expected this would be a cream of mushroom soup.  How surprised was I when out came a clear broth with loads of cremini mushrooms.  Such deep mushroom flavor.  I think they started with a beef broth and then simmered it with mushrooms.   Mushroom lovers rejoice!!

Next up was beef carpaccio.  
This was thinly sliced beef that each had been made into a roll.  Dressed with a bit of olive oil and garnished with miniature tomatoes, black olives, slivers of cucumber, salt and pepper.   I think there needed to be a sauce (perhaps a runny egg) to bring this all together.  The beef tasted okay but the dish wasn't composed enough for me.

Now for the "steak house" portion of this review.  We got both a rib eye and the skirt steak.
The rib eye was my favorite of the two. 

Cooked a perfect medium.  Even though it had more fat than many rib eyes, it had the superior seasoning. It was also juicier - which you would expect given all the fat. Rib eye has alot of fat so you can have it cooked beyond medium rare and still have a great steak.    

The skirt steak had a decent seasoning but had been left too long one the grill. I asked for medium rare and this was more medium well. Cooking any flank or skirt steak beyond medium produces something that starts to taste of liver and is  very tough. That was the case here. 

Dessert was a chocolate brownie.  
I had asked for vanilla ice cream but it only comes with strawberry.  Both the brownie and ice cream were tasty on their own.  But I have never understood those combination of flavors.  A chocolate covered strawberry works since it is not overly sweet.  But strawberry ice cream doesn't pair well with any kind of chocolate.  The brownie was cake like but very flavorful with some notes of roasted coffee.  The ice cream was also very good.  Creamy with a decent strawberry flavor. Just didnt work with the brownie.  I would get them separate if I ordered it again. 

So when you visit Bluewater Grill the next time you are at Dreams, make sure you order lots of the "turnovers".  I would say you could even skip everything else and just get those. You will still leave very happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment